Thursday, March 31, 2016

From Byron Bay to Coffs Harbour

A few days ago, I left Brisbane for Byron Bay.  Byron Bay, which is in New South Wales, has some extraordinary views and beautiful beaches.

The first night I was there, I ended up getting invited to the common room to hang or with my suitemates. I joined them a short time after they left the room, and they were playing some drinking games with cards. So, when in Rome, do what the Romans do, right?

Anyway, we all ended up dancing at a club until two in the morning. I didn't want to go, because I thought the dress code would exclude me, but my friends assured me I'd probably get in. I'm wary of nightclubs. It's not really my scene, but what the hell.

I ended up doing the crazy dancing I do, which is sort of like a rhino stamping out a campfire for hours on end, and it seemed to be popular. People were clapping and cheering me on, so I danced with lots of different people, and ended up in the middle of a circle of cheering people. Then I moved to dancing on a table, hair and limbs flying everywhere, while the crowd and the DJ went wild. After I came down, people were high-fiving me, and telling me things like how that was epic, and how I was now a legend. Apparently so, because the next day people were coming up to me and saying they had heard about me.  So there is my fifteen minutes of pseudo-fame.

The next night, I didn't go clubbing with everyone. I had walked all day after staying out really late, was exhausted, and clubbing is not really my thing anyway. I'd rather spend the day on a good walk than the night in a nightclub.

I had walked to the lighthouse, about 40 minutes from the hostel, and my suitemates were getting up before dawn to go there and see the sunrise. So I went with them. We actually stopped at The Most Easterly Place In Australia to watch the sunrise, and then hiking up to the lighthouse afterwards. Then we hooked the trail that goes through the preserve, which I had also done the day before, but had turned around because I thought it didn't go into town, but it turns out it did. I had previously turned around almost near the end leading into town.

Many of us were checking out that day, so we said our goodbyes and all went our separate ways. I got on the bus to Coffs Harbour, where I sit right now. I got some groceries and was going to make a stir-fry, but when I got back, I realized I didn't have any oil. And I didn't really want to go back to the store to get a big bottle of oil when I would only use a tiny bit of it. So I ended up making a stir-microwave instead.

Now it's getting into the night hours, I'm a little too tired to go out, and I have a huge blister on my left foot from all the walking I've been doing since I started this trip. I guess exploring the town will wait until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment