Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Arctic Circle in Yukon, 5/21/2014

I was a little apprehensive about continuing north after the flat tire.  The mechanic told me most people rode on those roads with 8- or 10-ply tires, and my tires were only 4-ply.  But he told me that I should be OK continuing forward, so that made me feel a little bit relieved.  But I also found out at Eagle Plains that the ferry was not running over the Peel River because there was too much ice, so there was no way I could make it to the Arctic Ocean, or even to Fort McPherson, which was the next community (about another 200 kms from Eagle Plains), unless I waited it out (which could have taken weeks).

About 30 kilometers north of Eagle Plains, I crossed the Arctic Circle for the second time on this journey.  The landscape was slowly changing from thick forest to permafrost tundra.









No comments:

Post a Comment