Tuesday, May 20, 2014

On the Dempster Highway, YT, 5/20/2014

I headed north on the Dempster Highway, which was a rough road a lot like the Dalton Highway in Alaska.  I passed through Tombstone Territorial Park, which had some beautiful landscape views.

The first vehicle I came across on the Dempster Highway was a Yukon government truck that cam barreling toward me at what I would estimate was about 80 mph, and it shot gravel bullets at my windshield that cracked it in four places (even though I pulled over out of courtesy far to the right of the road), and also put some other minor dings on it. Great.

I've seen lots of wildlife...black bears, brown bears... I saw two grizzlies on the road, one after the other...I ended up chasing one down the road when it took off running in front of my car. I tried to video it, but my phone froze (this stupid phone freezes up several times a day and I have to restart it). Saw lots of rabbits, and something that looked like a "porcupine squirrel"...more muscular than a squirrel but with a thick coat.

I ended up finding a place to pull over after I saw the two grizzlies, I camped just a few miles from where I saw them. It was late at night and I was exhausted.

 


















 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment