Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Atigun Pass, AK, 5/14/2014

The Atigun Pass. This crosses the Alaska Continental Divide in the Brooks Range between two groups of mountains.

I started making my way through the Atigun Pass. At the top, the driving conditions became extremely treacherous alarmingly quickly. The road was solid ice and I was skidding more than driving. I turned around on a narrow, high, icy road where someone could have come around the bend at any moment, and had to rock into movement and out of a skid several times in turning around, to get enough bite on my tires to not spin out. So I guess I'm heading back now. I wouldn't have been able to make it to the Arctic Ocean anyway, as access is restricted by the oil companies, and I don't think Deadhorse is anything special, just an oil service town. So I've probably seen most of the best stuff along the Dalton Highway.






No comments:

Post a Comment