Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Eagle Plains, YT, 5/21/2014

I arrived in Eagle Plains, Yukon, a little after 7 in the morning.  Eagle Plains is the first place to get gas on the Dempster Highway.  It is over 350 kms from the beginning of the Dempster Highway, and has a population of 8.

I went inside the restaurant after fueling, and had a bite to eat.  While I was sitting at my table, the waitress came up to me and said, "You know you have a flat tire?"  My heart sank.  Here I was in the middle of the wilderness with a flat tire.  Luckily there was a garage there.  This was a fortunate place to get a flat tire.  Apparently, a sharp rock had punctured my tire (there is a lot of sharp shale sticking up from the unpaved highway).

So I was laid over at Eagle Plains for a couple of hours while I had breakfast and the mechanic fixed my tire.  Also, they had a satellite internet connection that you could buy a daily ticket for, so I used that opportunity to get online for the only time available to me on the Dempster Highway.  I'm just glad my tire didn't go flat in a totally unpopulated and secluded place.


This is what my car looked like at Eagle Plains, after riding on the muddy, snowy roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment